November 2, 2012

Kreols: The Great Taste Has Escaped




So, retro is in, and many of us are getting to show our age by reminiscing over the flavours that once delighted us as children. We asked for Ghost Pops: we got them back. We asked for Rascals: we have them now, too. I don’t remember us asking for them, but we have them… Ladies and gentlemen, Kreols are back!

Considering I do not particularly enjoy seafood, besides tuna mayo sandwiches, Smackaroos and fish fingers, I absolutely loved Kreols and was thrilled to hear they were back on South African shelves.

Like a zombie looking for brains, I drove to 4 different places last night looking for my fix, before finally finding it. I hurried home, not sure if it was just the chips I was craving, or the imminent trip down memory lane returning me to my childhood, playing Kung Fu Master with my friends at the local café, scoffing away at Kreols and slurping Iron Brew between levels. I just needed to get that packet open. Must. Have. Kreols.

I wish I could say it was like being reunited with an old friend, and I suppose in many ways it was, but upon my initial taste, the first thought that sprung to mind was that they were fishier than I had remembered. Either the folks at Simba had gotten the recipe wrong (if only just slightly), or my taste buds had not evolved completely back then, and the full flavour of the chips impacted me now, as they were meant to taste. Bearing in mind that 25-30 years had passed since I last tasted Kreols; I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and devoured them further. I still found them to be little too fishy, but I finished the packet down to the last crumbs, so they clearly weren’t awful. In a nut-shell, these are fish-flavoured Nik Naks. 

The branding and packaging (as far as I can remember) remains unchanged, except now proudly announcing that they’re “back by popular demand”.

All in all, they were delicious, albeit a little fishy. I’ve said that before haven’t I? Would I buy them again? Well, the next time I feel a snack-attack coming on, these would probably not be my go-to brand of chips, simply because I’m not crazy about the taste of fish. That said, these are one-of-a-kind chips, and I know they will be devoured by seafood lovers.

One can only hope that in next few years we’ll also get Goonies, Greedy Boys and Fresca back.
And if it’s the true taste of Mauritius you crave, enter to Win a family holiday to Mauritius valued at R76 000

1 comments:

Simba you got it wrong this time, the kreols of long ago was much beter sumthing is missing with the flavor of today, I use to love it back then and when I saw it again I cudnt wait to see if it was the same but to my dissapointment it taste yak..compared to the first kreols....Simba hope u get da flovor rite coz i was crazy over that chips

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More